Naturopathy or Nature-cure is a curative, preventive and educative system of health care. It heals or cures the body and helps to achieve a healthy body and mind. Thus Naturopathy facilitates a complete cure.
According to Naturopathy, “Every acute disease is the result of the cleansing and healing effort of nature. If you suppress the acute conditions by drugs or by any other means, you are simply laying the foundation for chronic diseases. All diseases, from a simple cold to skin eruptions, diarrhoea, fever etc., represent nature’s effort to remove the system some accumulated morbid matter and some poisons dangerous to health and life.”
Definition of Naturopathy
A distinct system of primary health care – an art, science, philosophy, practice of diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of illness.
Principles of Naturopathy
Naturopathy has a holistic approach and based on the principle that the body has the inherent ability to heal itself.
Naturopathy uses nature and its elements to treat the diseases and to maintain health.
Nature’s healing power is utilized for the treatment:
Naturopathy enhances the healing process by removing the disease-causing agents.
It also builds the natural inherent ability of a person. Thus helps to restore and maintain health.
Naturopathy treats the root cause of the disease:
It not only treats the symptoms of the disease, but treats the root cause of the disease as well.
Naturopathy treats the person as Whole:
A person is said to be healthy only when he is physically and mentally fit. A sound body and a sound mind are equally important. Naturopathy helps to achieve this.
Self-control, diet control, and exercises play a vital role in healing process:
The self-curative forces which are inherent in the human body work towards health and healing. Naturopathy helps in enhancing the immunity power of the person.
Causes for illness
- Violation of Nature’s laws i.e., breach of diet, exercises, drinking water, relaxation, etc. leads to illness.
- Ancient proverb says, ‘When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use and when diet is correct, medicine is of no need’-
- This signifies the unique role of food and diet in maintaining health.
- Hence imbalance, improper and unwholesome diet, unhealthy eating, over eating, poor digestion and assimilation is considered one of the major causes of illness.
- Mental imbalance and emotional stress can also lead to illness.
- Improper lifestyle, sedentary routine, overexertion, etc. can cause also cause many disorders.
How a disease gets manifested?
A disease gets manifested in a particular body only under certain conditions. i.e., when the natural strength of the body is reduced or weakened due to many external factors such as diet, lifestyle etc.
Accumulation of morbid matter in the body eventually leads to the formation of disease. When once the morbid matter or disease causing agents become strong, the self-curative forces work at lower pace and disease gets manifested.
- Treatments are based on five basic elements of nature
- Earth – Mud baths and Mud packs
- Water – Hydrotherapeutic methods in the form of baths, packs, immersions and douches
- Air – Breathing exercises, outdoor walking, open air baths.
- Fire – Sun baths, therm oleum baths, Magnetised water
- Ether – Fasting therapy
- Herbal medicines are used to prevent and treat various illnesses.
- Dietary and nutritional advice for the restoration of balance, detoxification and prevention of disease.
- Lifestyle advice to promote well-being and to reduce stress.
- Digestive problems
- Musculoskeletal diseases-Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, etc.
- Weight-related issues
- Autoimmune diseases
- Degenerative brain disorders
- Skin disorders
- Migraine, Anxiety, Depression, and Chronic fatigue syndrome
Benefits of Naturopathy:
- Naturopathy provides great relief in various disorders. It is helpful in treating several acute and chronic ailments.
- Naturopathy not only helps in relieving pain and discomfort but also improves the quality of life of the person.
- It treats the root cause of illness and not just symptoms of the disease.
- Naturopathy relieves pain and discomfort and prevents frequent bouts of illness.
- It reduces stress level and increases immunity
- It provides long-term solutions to chronic ailments.
- It improves overall fitness and increases energy.
- It is totally natural and drug-free treatment method.
- Naturopathy is safe and effective treatment modality