The act of helping the client to see things more clearly, possibly from a different viewpoint. This can enable the client to focus on feelings, experiences or behavior, with a goal of facilitating positive change.
Types of counseling
- Directive counseling:
In this counseling, the Counsellors plays an active role as it is regarded as a means of helping people how to learn to solve their own problems. This is also known as counselor centered counseling.
- Non-directive counseling:
In this type of counseling, the client plays an active role. This type of counseling is a growing process.
The counselor establishes rapport with the client based on mutual trust acceptance and understanding.
In this counseling, the goal is the independence and integration of the client rather than the solution of the problem.
- Eclectic counseling:
Eclectic counseling is a combination of directive and non-directive technique depending upon the situational factors.
This approach in counseling is best characterized by its freedom to the counselor to use whatever procedures or techniques seem to be the most appropriate to any particular time for any particular client.
Different counseling formats
It is a face-to-face counseling format; here you may choose to see a counselor by yourself. Here counselor will provide you with an ampoule of opportunity to express your emotions that arise.
It is a form of counseling a group of people who are experiencing similar issues. Attending such group counseling session can be helpful if you want to discuss your issues with people who are experienced similar problems in their life.
If you prefer alternative to face-to-face counseling then telephone counseling would be a good option. This involves talking to your counselor over the phone instead of in person. This format can be particularly useful for those who are too busy with day to day work schedules.
When you prefer not to speak to a counselor physically at all then you may choose online counseling.
By using internet services through email and video discussions directly you can communicate with Psychiatric counselors.
In this format, you will be having enormous time to think through what you wish to discuss and also online counseling offers you the chance to protect your identity.
Benefits of Psychological counseling
- Counseling can help you understand yourself better.
- It is useful for anyone who wants to explore the way they’re thinking or feeling further, as well as anyone experiencing a problem or issue they are keen to resolve.
- People may choose to discuss with a counselor because they feel they cannot discuss with family and friends about such personal issues, or they may simply wish to speak to a Psychological professional.
- Counseling can also help you understand other people’s point of view better, which can shed light onto the way you interpret words or actions.
Counseling helps in the following issues:
- Transition to college
- Relationship difficulties
- Thoughts of suicide
- Low self-esteem
- Sexual assault or abuse
- Domestic violence
- Grief and loss
- Post Trauma
- Health issues
- Eating disorders
Preparation for a counseling
- dates and times of the counseling sessions
- confidentiality agreement
- clarification of the professional nature of the counselor/client relationship
- How and when the counselor can be contacted outside of sessions.
- The counseling process