Guduchi popularly known as Amruta is an important Ayurveda herb because of its healing properties.
Guduchi is one among 4 medhya Rasayana (Brain tonics, to improve memory), Guduchi swarasa (juice) is to be administered. It is primarily used in the treatment of diabetes, fever, urinary tract disorders, jaundice, asthma, anemia, cardiac disorders, etc.
Brief information of Guduchi:
Kingdom : Plantae
Order : Ranunculales
Genus : Tinospora
Family name : Menispermaceae
Botanical name : Tinospora cordifolia
Gana(Classification): Ayurveda classical texts mentioned Guduchi under the following classification.
- Vayasthapana – group of rejuvenating herbs
- Dahaprashamana – group of herbs that reduce the burning sensation
- Trishnanigrahana – group of herbs that reduce excessive thirst
- Stanyashodhana – group of herbs that cleanse the breast milk
- Triptighna – group of herbs that treats early satiation
- Guduchyadi Gana
- Patoladi Gana
- Valli Panchamoola Gana
- Kakolyadi Gana
- Aragvadhadi Gana
- Amruta – Most popular synonym. It means nectar.
- Guduchi – It protects and guards the body against diseases.
- Chakrangi, Chakralakshana – wheel-like appearance in transverse section of the stem.
- Chandrahasa – It refers to the moon-like appearance of a transversely cut stem.
- Chinnaruha, Chinnodbhava – Regular growth of plant even if it is cut-off several times & Regular emergence of a plant even if it is cut-off several times.
- Jwarari, Jwaranashini – Useful against fever.
Ayattha, Amravalli, Kundali, Guduchika, Jivantika, Tantrika, Devanirmita, Dhara, Nagakanyaka, Bhishakpriya, Madhuparni, Somavalli, Vayastha are the other synonyms.
Indian Regional names:
- Hindi – Giloy, Gudich
- Kannada – ಅಮೃತ ಬಳ್ಳಿ (Amrita balli)
- Bengali – Gulanch
- Marathi – Gulavel
- Gujarati – Galo
- Tamil – Shindil kodi
- Telugu – Tippatigo
- Assamese – Gulanch
Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) is a large, glabrous, deciduous climbing shrub. It is found throughout the tropical Indian subcontinent at an altitude of 300m.
It is popularly known as Giloy in Hindi. It has a mythological origin and refers to the heavenly elixir that has saved celestial beings from old age and kept them eternally young. Guduchi is also used extensively in veterinary folk medicines.
Chiefly contains Berberine and Giloin.
The chemical constituents of Guduchi belong to different classes, such as alkaloids, diterpenoid lactones, glycosides, steroids, sesquiterpenoid, phenolics, aliphatic compounds, and polysaccharides.
Medicinal properties of Guduchi:
गुडूची गूरुरुष्णवीर्या तिक्ता कषाया ज्वरनाशिनी च ।
दाहार्तितृष्णावमिरक्तवातप्रमेहपाण्डुभ्रमहारिणी च ॥ (रा. नि)
कन्दोद्भवा गुडूची च कतटूष्णा संनिपातहा ।
विषघ्नी ज्वरभूतघ्नी वलिपलितनाशिनी ॥ (ध .नि.)
Scientific studies and research have proved the following effects of Guduchi-
- anti allergic
- anti-neoplastic activities
गुडूची कटुका तिक्ता स्वादुपाका रसायनी । संग्राहिणी कषायोष्णा लघ्वी बल्याग्निदीपनी॥
दोषत्रयामत्रुङ्दाहमेहकासांष्च पाण्डुताम् । कामलाकुष्ठवातास्रज्वरकृमिवमीर्हरेत् ॥ (भा. प्र )
Rasa(Taste) – Kashaya (Astringent), Tikta (Bitter)
Vipaka(Taste conversion after digestion) – Madhura (sweet)
Gunas (qualities) – Laghu (Light to digest), Snigdha (Unctuous)
Veerya (Potency) – Ushna (Hot)
Effect on Tridosha – Doshahara (Balances Tridoshas)
अमृता सांग्राहिक -वातहर -दीपनीय – श्लेष्मशोणितविबन्धप्रशमनानाम् । (च .सू.२५)
- Vata dosha Shamaka- because it is Snigdha and ushna
- Pitta dosha Shamaka- because it has Tikta and Kashaya rasa and Madhura vipaka
- Kapha dosha Shamaka- because it has Tikta, Kashaya rasa and is Ushna
Most used part is kaanda (stem).
Leaves and aerial roots are also used for medicinal purpose.
Satva: 1-2 g
Arista: 15 ml
- Guduchi churna,
- Guduchyadi kashaya,
- Guduchyadi loha,
- Guduchi taila
Benefits of Guduchi:
- External application in the form of taila (oil) is beneficial in Kushta (Skin diseases) and Vatarakta (gout, dermatological manifestations).
- Guduchi promotes digestion, alleviates Vata, Kapha, constipation and Raktapitta (bleeding disorders).
- Guduchi is a Rasayana–Rejuvenative. Helpful in weakness and debility.
- Guduchi has Vayasthapana property – anti-aging and rejuvenating.
- It is Vrushya – Aphrodisiac
- Useful in digestive disorders like Grahani, Pravahika and krimi roga and has Agnideepana – Improves digestion power, Amahara – relieves Ama – indigestion and Sangrahi property – increases absorptive nature to stomach and intestines.
- Balya – improves strength
- Treats Jwara (fever) and has Trushna hara properties – relieves excessive thirst and Dahahara – relieves burning sensation in the body. Note that though Guduchi is Hot in potency, it helps to relieve burning sensation. This action is brought about by its Madhura Vipaka. (Sweet after-taste). Sweetness is coolant in nature.
- Guduchi is Mehahara – useful in the treatment of diabetes, urinary tract disorders.
- Guduchi is Kasahara – Useful to relieve Cough.
- Guduchi is Paunduhara – relieves anemia.
- Guduchi treats kamala – Useful in treatment of jaundice and related diseases.
- Guduchi is helpful in Kushta – Useful in skin diseases.
- Vatarakta – Useful in gouty arthritis.
- Guduchi is Krimihara – useful to relieve intestinal worms.
- Guduchi is Vamihara- useful in vomiting.
- Guduchi is beneficial in Shwasa – useful in difficulty in breathing, (dyspnoea), asthma, and Bronchitis.
- Guduchi is used in treating Arsha – Piles, and hemorrhoids.
- Useful in Hrudroga – Vatanut – Useful in heart diseases with Vata symptoms such as pain.
- Guduchi is Chakshushya – improves vision, good for eyes, useful in eye disorders.